Migration from Dharmajstarted way back in 1895. Now Dharmajian settled across the globe. That’s makes Dharmaj a Global Village in a true sense. Late Prof. Mario Rutton proposes another word for this village while making documentary film by University of Amsterdam, Netherlands. He said Dharmaj – A Transnational Village.Migration started with East African countries and Fiji followed by United Kingdom, United States of America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and many more countries. Perhaps Dharmijian are there in every continents of the world.
We have Dharmaj Society of London working charitable work since 1968 in which 1400 dharmajian families are members. We have NRD of USA (Group of Non Resident Dharmajians), DharmajBandhuBhaginiSamaj are there in Canada, Australia and Kenya too. They all gathered one or more times in a year. Celebrate memories of homeland. One thing is common among all that they start their event with vibrant “Dharmaj Song”.
This work is Dedicated to,
- Generation next of Dharmajians.
- DharmajiansWhose life began at Dharmaj. Due to some reason they have to migrate but infantile reminiscence is still fresh in their mind.
- Dharmajians those who are miles away from homeland but their mind often strolls at the outskirts of Dharmaj.
- Those who have not seen Dharmaj but they love Dharmaj.
Let’s go to Dharmaj
- Progressive Town of Charotar region.
- Native place of Dr. H. M. Patel (Ex. Finance & Home Minister – Government of India)
- Renowned village in India & abroad for success story of pasture development project to make local village panchayat a self-reliant.
- A town of TalukaPetlad of District Anand (Gujarat) –An origin of AMUL called mother of co-operative movement of India.
- Situated between Borsad – Tarapur on Vasad – Bagodara National Highway adjoining Mumbai to Saurastra&Kutchchh.
- Distance in kilometer to Dharmaj from important places nearby.
Petlad : 10 KM Borsad : 12 KM Khambhat: 23KM Tarapur : 17 KM Anand : 31 KM Nadiad: 36KM Vadodara : 49 KM Amadavad : 91KM
- Dharmaj is situated on Nadiad – Bhadaran narrow gauge railway line. (at present railway stopped due to gauge conversation work
- D. 1155 (V.S. 1212) founder of JuniKhadakiShriNarshibhai Patel came from Jargal to settle at Dharmaj.
- A. D. 1675 ( V.S. 1732) founder of Three kahadakiShriRangaji Patel came from Virol (Sojitra) and settled at Dharmaj
Geographical & other Details
- Geographical Location : Latitude 22’ – 25” & Longitude 72’ – 48”
- Height above sea level : 84 feet.
- Climate : Max. Temp. 45 Degree Centigrade & Min. Temp. 10 Degree Centigrade
- Average Rainfall : 25 to 30 Inch per year.
- Total Area of Town : 1448 – 93 – 59 Hectors.
- Cultivable (arable) Area : 1271 – 71 – 77 Hectors.
- Village Area : 17 – 23 – 00 Hectors.
- Total Land Survey Numbers : 2530
- Total Farmers: 2529
- Irrigation facilities: Ground Water & Partial Canal.
- Soil Type: Loamy & Black
- Main Crops: Black Tobacco, Paddy, Banana & Chilies
Demography & other Details
- Total Population : 10429 Male: 5380 Female: 5049
- Total Buildings : 4123 (Pakka : 2966 + Kachcha 1157)
- Literacy Ratio : Total – 79.3 % Male : 87 % Female : 70.9 %
- Total Family staying at village: 2770 BPL Family : 530
- Farmers on the basis of population : 23 %
- Agriculture labour on the basis of population : 1.43 %
- Total livestock : 1813 ( Buffalo – 1259, Cow – 458, Goat – 86, Camel – 10 )
Facilities & Education:
- Formal education started in 1875.
- Girl’s education started in 1890.
- Balmandir(kindergarten) to Higher secondary schools for both Gujarati & English medium study.
- Industrial Training Institute (ITI) & Skill Development Centres.
- Colleges for Pharmacy, Engineering, B. Ed. & Physiotherapy.
- Health services started in 1905 during Gaikwad Rule before Independence.
- At present there are Government referral hospital&otherssuper specialties hospitals run by trusts for Eye, Maternity & General , Orthopedic, Dental, physiotherapy, T. B.
- Tapes water supply since 1942.
- Electricity since 1954.
- Under Ground Drainage since 1972.
- Banks, Market, Heritage& Modern buildings.
- Clean, Green & Pollution free atmosphere.
- Global Village (Dharmajians settled across the globe).
- “Dhamaj Day” is celebrated every year on 12th January (Swami VivekanandJayanti) since 2007.
- Having book named “Dharmaj – A village to Emulate)
- Having coffee table book named “ChaloDharmaj”